- InfraBuild Steel Centre processed 800 tonne of heavy structural sections through to light merchant bar, RHS and plate
- All product was processed, part marked, drilled and packed into individual modules
- InfraBuild Steel Centre achieved a cost-effective transport strategy using third-party trucks to save on fleet costs
Earlier this year, InfraBuild Steel Centre Port Adelaide was awarded the Santos CIEP CO2 project by its customer Gadaleta Steel Fabrications.
The job involved the processing of 800 tonne of product, ranging from heavy structural sections through to light merchant bar, RHS and plate.
Once processed this product had to be packed into separate modules and shipped to the manufacturing facility some 400 kilometres away at Whyalla and then on to site at Moomba, a further 400 kilometres away near where the SA border meets the NSW and Queensland borders.
InfraBuild Steel Centre (formerly LIBERTY OneSteel Metacentre) Port Adelaide was able to provide a tailored solution to meet these key customer needs:
- Provide processed material in module packs – All the products were to be processed, part marked, drilled and packed into individual modules. This amounted to literally thousands of parts and more than 50 individual modules which were packed and delivered separately to Whyalla for the client to fabricate.
- Cost effective transport solution – Cost saving was paramount. InfraBuild Steel Centre achieved a cost-effective customer solution by incorporating a new transport strategy using third-party trucks to save on fleet costs.
- Full traceability – Another important customer requirement of this job was full traceability with heat and serial numbers on all items including supply of test certificates.
Gadaleta Steel sent a personal thank you to the team at Port Adelaide:“I would like to thank you and your team for the exceptional effort put in for the SANTOS project. I know and understand that the way in which we wanted to procure the steel presented some challenges however this was not evident in the delivery. Your team has excelled and were a pleasure to deal with.”
InfraBuild Steel Centre Port Adelaide Sales Manager Mick Turner and his team have proven their capability in the market place of handling large and complex project work. The team plan to incorporate key learning’s from the SANTOS project to tailor a solution for future projects.
Article published on Monday, 27 November 2017