Utilising the latest 5D Building Information Modelling (BIM) tools, InfraBuild Reinforcing can offer unprecedented levels of insight and cost-savings to support the timely fulfillment of your next project.
The 5D BIM Difference
Offering a vastly more complete visualisation compared to standard 2D drawings, 5D BIM technology supports critical design and onsite construction decision making processes at every stage of a project’s lifecycle with unsurpassed accuracy and flexibility.
InfraBuild Reinforcing utilise BIM to support enhanced concept development, estimating, timeline programming, sequencing and to assist with reporting of deliverables to key stakeholders and customers.
Collaborate – Streamline the design process and integrate onsite conditions and work methods into the reo design through collaboration with Onsite Operations and Design Engineers in a common data environment.
Optimise – Harness the knowledge of Australia’s leading reo supplier to advise on the most economical and optimised reo design with opportunities to incorporate innovative prefabricated solutions.
Manage – Inform and allow governance of your construction program, assembly sequencing and associated costs with 5D BIM tools and access track and trace data to satisfy QA measures.
Our 3D BIM Toolset
The benefits of the InfraBuild Reinforcing toolset are realised in both the design and construction phases of a project and include:
Expedited design process through:
• Improved communication of design intent and faster approval of RFIs with visualisation in the 3D environment
• Subcontracting detailing work to reinforcing suppliers, allowing the design team to focus on other priority deliverables
• Reduction of redundant work by using a shared model in a common data environment
Simplification of design through consolidation of bars and reduction of tight tolerances at critical sections allowing for an easier build
Buildability assurance through clash detection of reinforcing (including services and non-reinforcing elements) reducing lost time on-site
Accurate estimation of BOQ, including quick calculations of variations
Validated understanding of reinforcing in precast elements provides QA of each element interaction and informs the procurement process with a complete and qualified reinforcing package to present to subcontractors
More flexibility to adapt to changing on-site conditions with all reinforcing pre-scheduled leading to less risk of construction program blowouts
Significantly reduced scheduling error rate with 3D software integrated directly into our steel production systems, providing confidence on-site that the provided reinforcing is accurate
Visualisation of the build for the client and steel fixing team will hasten on-site start up
5D Modelling Case Studies
- InfraBuild Reinforcing delivered over 48,000 tonnes of reinforcing steel to Sydney Metro City & Southwest stations
- 3D Modelling was essential for delivering the Martin Place, Victoria Cross, and Barangaroo stations with accuracy and assurance of constructability
- JHCPBG joint venture were able to hand over Victoria Cross Station’s ahead of schedule
- The $141 million Flinders Link Project in South Australia will extend the existing Tonsley rail line to a hub comprising the Flinders Medical Centre, the Flinders Private Hospital and Flinders University
- 3D modelling by InfraBuild meant headstock bar shapes could be redesigned to suit the requirements of the elevated rail line
- A full-size template of each reinforcing bar was created to ensure each was fit for purpose
What is 3D Building Information Modelling (BIM)
Building Information Modeling (BIM) software creates an interactive 3D model based on data input and is used in construction to model every detail of a project. This means engineers, architects, and reinforcing schedulers and detailers can collaborate on the same platform.
Why use BIM
BIM is the smarter way to plan and deliver a project. Through BIM, every piece of information is actionable. For detailing of reinforcing this means buildability assurance, clash detection, and a tighter control on scheduling errors. When you choose InfraBuild Reinforcing, you select reo experts to schedule, detail, and model your reinforcing.
What is Buildability
Buildability is a pre-construction phase evaluation of a project's potential obstacles wherein errors, delays, and cost overruns are identified. This stage is when steel reinforcement clashes should be detected and resolved. BIM and Buildability go hand in hand.
3D vs 5D
A 3D reinforcing model transforms into 5D BIM when the dimensions of time/planning and cost are included. Gain insights of individual element assembly sequencing, onsite construction sequencing, real-time cost modelling of designs and the design variations to reduce wasted time onsite, reduce material waste and deliver the most cost-effective reo solution.